How to Hire an Estate Sales Company
How do you hire the best estate sales company? Most people don’t run their own estate sales, instead they hire out and use an estate sales company. An estate sales company is a business that specializes in organizing and conducting the sale of personal property and belongings of individuals, often in the case of downsizing, relocating, or settling an estate after the death of a loved one. Legacy Auction and Realty Group is the BEST full-service estate sales company in Kansas City.
First you need to know what an estate sale is - this simply means selling the items of an estate. This may sound related to a yard sale, but an estate sales company typically deals with a larger scale of items and things that have more value. Estate sales services can include a wide range of activities, from organizing and pricing the items for sale to conducting the actual sale and managing the distribution of proceeds. Hiring professionals, like Legacy Auction Group, to deal with the estate sale is only going to make the process that much easier on you. An estate sales company will usually charge a commission fee for their services, which is a percentage of the total sales. Here’s a general overview of how an estate sale works:
- Assessment: The estate sales company will assess the items in the home or property and determine their value, this includes conducting research, appraisals, and consulting with experts in specific areas.
- Preparation: They will then prepare for the sale by cleaning, repairing, and organizing the items. This may involve moving furniture and other large items, arranging displays, and preparing signage.
- Pricing: Next is to price the items for sale, considering their value, condition, and demand. Prices may be set through negotiations with buyers or through a bidding process.
- Sale: On the day of the sale, the company will conduct the sale, manage customer traffic, and handle negotiations with buyers. They will also process payment and keep track of the sales and receipts.
- Clean-up: After the sale, the estate sales company will clean up the property, remove any remaining items, and prepare the property for its next use.
- Distribution of Proceeds: Finally, they will distribute the proceeds of the sale to the appropriate parties, typically the estate or the beneficiaries.
Not every estate sales company is the same. There are those who operate with a high ethics and integrity, dedicate their careers to the industry, and put their clients’ needs first, and there are also those who will try to take advantage of a sad situation. So how do you tell the difference? Mostly - do your research. It’s a good idea to interview at least three companies before deciding. Hiring a good estate sales company can involve several steps that include:
- Start by researching estate sales companies in your area. Look for companies that specialize in estate sales, have experience in the industry, and have a good reputation.
- Ask friends, family, or acquaintances who have used estate sales services for recommendations. Referrals from trusted sources can be helpful in finding a reputable company.
- Check online reviews and ratings of estate sales companies to see what others are saying about their experiences.
- Interview several estate sales companies to get a sense of their experience, services offered, and fees. Ask for references from past clients and contact them to get feedback on their experience with the company.
- Check that the estate sales company is properly licensed and insured, which can help protect you in case of any issues.
- Look for estate sales companies that are members of professional organizations, such as the National Estate Sales Association or the American Society of Estate Liquidators. These affiliations can indicate a commitment to professional standards and ethics.
Contact us today to discuss your need for an estate sales company by calling (816) 820-3313 or connect with us online to schedule a FREE consultation. No matter your situation, we want to make the transition on you as easy as possible. We look forward to talking with you today! Based in Kansas City, we serve all the surrounding communities and all cities in between including but not limited to Lee’s Summit, Independence, Blue Springs, Topeka, St. Joseph, Overland Park, Liberty, and Lawrence, KS.